1. Understand the cost-effectiveness of different activities so that you can set realistic targets for what you can raise.
2. Know who your target audiences are, their motivations and the best way to communicate and engage with them – starting with your existing supporters.
3. Make the most of social media as a way to engage, raise awareness that you need cash and share how people and organisations can help you. The great advantage of this is that it’s totally free (on the whole).
4. Develop meaningful relationships with donors, funders and supporters rather than just treat them as an ATM, only going to them when you need cash.
5. Return to past supporters, update them and ask again – if you don’t ask, they will think that you have all you need (but don’t ask too often and do give them choices about how they can support).